Neighbors serving neighbors: the history of Crisp Regional Health Services

Today’s modern, high-tech Crisp Regional Hospital and the facilities in Crisp Regional Health Services are built on a long history of care. As Crisp County and the surrounding area have grown, and as medicine has changed, so have we. What has not changed is our commitment to providing our community the best healthcare possible, as close to home as possible.


Founding. The forerunner of Crisp Regional Hospital was the Cordele Sanitarium, on 15th Avenue and Second Street, where doctors performed operations and oversaw care for acute and chronic medical problems. Originally built for a school, the hospital’s home in the elegant building was destroyed by a fire in 1913. The R. L. Wilson Home, on the site of today’s hospital, was purchased and became Adams Hospital.
couple holding hands

Evolution into a health system. In 1946 the hospital authority was established, to enable creation of a non-profit hospital for the region. Six years later, Crisp County Hospital opened. Over the following years, this hospital continued to grow, in services, size, and the area from which it drew patients. Situated on 11 beautiful acres in Cordele, the new modern Crisp Regional Hospital opened its doors in 1990.In 1993, Crisp reorganized its corporate structure, creating the Crisp Regional Health Services to oversee the hospital and the facilities being added to better serve the community. These included a 143-bed nursing home, a home health program, a retirement home, hospice, as well as new programs within the hospital itself. Today Crisp Regional Health Services provides a complete range of healthcare services for more than 120,000 people who live, work, and play in the central Georgia counties of Crisp, Dooly, Macon, Sumter, Sumter, Worth, and Wilcox.
the history of Reflections Hospice

Expanding services, enhancing facilities. The past decade has been one of much growth and change, both with the addition of new services and facilities in Crisp Regional Health Services and with expansion and renovation at Crisp Regional Hospital.In 2008, with support of the Crisp Regional Hospital Development Foundation and friends in the community, a new Intensive Care Unit opened. The 28,000 square foot expansion includes a 16-bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU), waiting room, classroom, a new Medical Records department, and other facilities designed to make care easier, more pleasant and more efficient for patients, their families and the medical and nursing staff.

In 2013 Crisp Regional Hospital’s Emergency Department and level 4 trauma center expanded almost four times over, to more than 12,000 square feet, with larger treatment areas, room for more doctors and nurses to serve the growing emergency needs of a growing community, and more of the technology known to save lives in emergencies.

Both facilities won awards for their patient- and family-centered design and beauty.

Emergency Services Helmets